From Students*, Researchers, and Professors
* Current students and recent graduates
Diagnostics and Controls (Improved Tools, Models)
- In-cylinder gaseous species , soot, and temperature measurements.
- Validated combustion and engine system computer models.
Fuel Injection and Sprays (Fuels and Sprays)
- High resolution spray analysis to validate fuel spray models.
- Fuel spray models.
Investigation of Knock Inhibiting Effects of Hydrated Ethanol and
2,5 Dimethylfuran Blended with Gasoline in a DISI Engine
Jamie Jennings , David Rothamer
Primary Breakup Process and Macro-scale Characteristics of
Group-hole Nozzles for Direct-injection Diesel Engines
Jian Gao , Mario Trujillo
Combustion Optimization and Emissions
- Studies of air-fuel distributions, mixing and in-homogeneities, effects of spray targeting on pistons, wall impingement, heat transfer, combustion efficiency and exhaust emissions.
- Studies of intake valve actuation for combustion phasing, variable spray geometries for fuel and air mixing and spray fumigation.
- Characterization and techniques for achieving homogeneous charge compression ignition for reduced emissions.
- Transient control strategies for variable engine speed/loads and different combustion regimes.
Experimental Investigation of Dual-Fuel Effects In a Light Duty Engine (PDF)
John Kaddatz, Rolf Reitz
- Mechanisms of pollutant formation and destruction and extension of combustion limits for application of aftertreatment systems.
- Characteristics of soot emissions and the regeneration of diesel particulate filters.
Fuel Neutral Particulate Measurements (PDF)
Carrie Farron, Nick Matthias, David Foster
Turbulence and Charge Preparation
- Mechanisms of charge formation and mixing destruction during the intake and combustion processes.
- Characteristics of engine combustion common across different engine sizes.