From Students*, Researchers, and Professors
* Current students and recent graduates
Diagnostics and Controls (Improved Tools, Models)
- In-cylinder gaseous species , soot, and temperature measurements.
- Validated combustion and engine system computer models.
Toward improved computational simulation with KIVA-4
Dr. Won-Geun Lee
Fuel Injection and Sprays (Fuels and Sprays)
- High resolution spray analysis to validate fuel spray models.
- Fuel spray models.
A Vaporization Model for Realistic Multi-Component Fuels
Shiyou Yang, Youngchul Ra
Multi-component fuel chemistry model
Youngchul Ra, Rolf Reitz
Combustion Optimization and Emissions
- Studies of air-fuel distributions, mixing and in-homogeneities, effects of spray targeting on pistons, wall impingement, heat transfer, combustion efficiency and exhaust emissions.
- Studies of intake valve actuation for combustion phasing, variable spray geometries for fuel and air mixing and spray fumigation.
- Characterization and techniques for achieving homogeneous charge compression ignition for reduced emissions.
- Transient control strategies for variable engine speed/loads and different combustion regimes.
- Mechanisms of pollutant formation and destruction and extension of combustion limits for application of aftertreatment systems.
- Characteristics of soot emissions and the regeneration of diesel particulate filters.
Turbulence and Charge Preparation
- Mechanisms of charge formation and mixing destruction during the intake and combustion processes.
- Characteristics of engine combustion common across different engine sizes.
Model Parameter Sensitivity of Mixing and UHC/CO
Emissions in a PPCI Low-Load Optical Diesel Engine
Jeffrey Sauter Chris Rutland