|Advisor:||Dr. Rolf Reitz|
PhD expected Spring 2013
Optimization of low temperature combustion strategies in compression ignition engines using computational tools and single cylinder engine experiments.
Long Term Goals
Develop a thorough understanding of the physical and chemical processes that take place in internal combustion engines. Apply this knowledge to aid in the advancement of engine simulation technologies as well as streamline the use of simulation in the engine development process.
- 2007 BSME Bradley University
- 2009 MSME Bradley University
- Current UW-Madison Engine Research Center Graduate Research Assistant
- 2007-2009 Caterpillar Inc., Engine Performance & Emissions
- Dempsey, A. B., Walker, N. R., Splitter, D., Wissink, M., Reitz, R. D., "Characterization of Reactivity Controlled Compression Ignition (RCCI) Using Premixed Hydrated Ethanol and Direct Injection Diesel in Heavy-Duty and Light-Duty Engines", THIESEL 2012 Conference on Thermo- and Fluid Dynamic Processes in Direct Injection Engines
- Walker, N. R., Dempsey, A. B., Andrie, M. J., and Reitz, R. D., "Experimental Study of Low-Pressure Fueling Under RCCI Engine Operation", ILASS-Americas 24th Annual Conference on Liquid Atomization and Spray Systems, San Antonio, Texas, May 2012
- Nieman, D. E., Dempsey, A. B., Reitz, R. D., "Heavy-Duty RCCI Operation Using Natural Gas and Diesel", SAE 2012-01-0379.
- Dempsey, A. B., Wang, B. L., Reitz, R. D., Miles, P. C., Petersen, B. P., Dipankar, S., "Comparison of Quantitative In-Cylinder Equivalence Ratio Measurements with CFD Predictions for a Light Duty Low Temperature Combustion Diesel Engine", SAE 2012-01-0143.
- Dempsey, A. B., Reitz, R. D., Adhikary, B. D., Viswanathan, S., "Characterization of Dual-Fuel Reactivity Controlled Compression Ignition (RCCI) Using Hydrated Ethanol and Diesel Fuel", (Poster) Directions in Engine-Efficiency and Emissions Research (DEER 2011).
- Dempsey, A. B., Reitz, R. D., Adhikary, B. D., Viswanathan, S., "Reactivity Controlled Compression Ignition (RCCI) Using Premixed Hydrated Ethanol and Direct Injection Diesel", ASME 2011 Internal Combustion Engine Fall Technical Conference (ICEF 2011).
- Dempsey, A. B., Reitz, R. D., "Computational Optimization of Reactivity Controlled Compression Ignition in a Heavy-Duty Engine with Ultra Low Compression Ratio", 10th International Conference on Engines & Vehicles ICE2011, Sept.11-15, Naples, Italy.
- Dempsey, A. B., Reitz, R. D., "Computional Optimization of a Heavy-Duty Compression Ignition Engine Fueled with Conventional Gasoline", SAE 2011-01-0356.
- Dempsey, A., Post, S.L., "Autoignition Model for Diesel Sprays". 2010 Central States Section Combustion Institute Meeting, UIUC.
- Dempsey, A. B., Fiveland, S. B., "Implementation and Use of a Secondary Droplet Break-Up Model Under Diesel Engine Conditions", 2008 ASME International Mechanical Engineering Congress and Exposition.
- Combustion Energy Frontier Research Center (CEFRC)
- United States Department of Energy (DOE)